Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Window Classic Start Menu and Explorer in W7!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocandu

Technical User
Apr 27, 2009
US
Hi

If anyone is interested here is a app that restores the classic start menu in Windows 7.

I find it much easier to find what I want when the screen shows all your installed programs at the same time instead of scrolling up and down constantly.

It also allows you to use something that resembles the classic Windows Explorer. This retains most or all of the useful features and appearance of Win 7 Explorer but the folders don't keep jumping up and down the screen when you select them. For me a big improvement. When you click on a folder it opens and shows the sub folders below it with out jumping up or down on the screen.

You can turn it on and off when you want to.

Mike

It is OK going back to the old shell but the problem is, when you jump on to someone else's machine and they don't have it, you still end up with the same problem. If someone jumps on your machine, they may get a problem because they are used to the new system.

If everyone in the work environment has it then it would be easier. It would then be the company standard and everyone knows where everything is.

It is swings and roundabouts - there are good and bad points. If it makes you work more efficiently, it is good.

I love Classic Shell, and am not sure I would have upgraded if it weren't possible to get the dotted tree lines back in explorer (while keeping the Aero theme).

As to using another PC... I live with it. I use mine most of the time, and so I've customised mine. I'm still perfectly capable of using another PC whatever OS or shell it happens to be running (Win 95, Mac OS, *nix, etc), even if I prefer things to look different.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

Hi

No one works on my computer but myself anyway and I don't have a problem when I go to fix someone else's.

Mostly I'm finding that the way folders act in Windows Explorer is a lot easier to use then the new system.
It doesn't look that much different but it just works better for me.

I always used Windows Explorer when many of my friends don't even know what it is (getting to everything through "My Computer").

I still like the use the two window system, as Window 3.1 had. The flick action in Window 7 makes this very easy to do.
I like having both drives side by side no scrolling up and down etc. just drag the files across from the source to the target folder.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back