Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winamp works but system sounds do not 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mars19301

MIS
May 31, 2001
US
running XP3 and FF3 beta 2 on a DELL E310 (YES I've been following the recent similar thread) and lost my mail.wav, chimes, etc. The speaker icon in the system tray disappeared. Not sure if it happened when I upgraded XP or when I uninstalled some software which I do almost daily (trial and failure freak).
Been all through the control panel and all is cool. All ideas will be appreciated. Thank you in advance for all help.

Tony

If you uncheck Winapm controlling WAVs, the sounds should come back.

Uninstall Winamp altogether and you'll see your problems dissapear.

Your choice...

Thanks, Roland. No luck, but as we know, it's often a case of trial and failure with this stuff. I uninstalled winamp. I narrowed it down to an uninstall of Nero that zapped a drvmcdb file related to Roxio DLA. So I uninstalled Roxio and now have no functional sound whereas SOMAFM.COM used to play nice. Gives me an opportunity find something better.
Gives me some new R&D to do this year. I love this stuff. Thanks again. Tony

This fixed it
Go to start, run, type in services .msc; then scroll down down until you find windows audio. Right click windows audio and select properties, then look for where it says startup type, make sure that selection is set to automatic. Make sure you restart after doing this.
This should be the fix to it.

Thanks to kousonh on softwaretipsandtricks.com in a Sep05 post.

Of course this was after I uninstalled much and installed Basic Jet Audio.

Hope this helps somebody else. Thanks. Tony

And thanks for reporting that for all of us to learn.

Enjoy the sound...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back