Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win9x driver search path

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisSmith

Technical User
Aug 12, 2001
US
I know that Win9X searches the install path for cab files for drivers when detecting new hardware. I am attempting to create a Norton Ghost restore CD that will work on a specific model of computer that has basically the same hardware, with the exception of the modem. The model of the modem varies. I thought at first I could just run the install process, but the various models of modems are somewhat related and use similar file names for their drivers installation. For example, GVC modem with a connexant chipset uses similar/same driver file names as an Aztech modem with a connexant chipset. But there is enough difference between them that they don't interchange as well as the obvious difference between the .inf files.
My plan is to create several sub-folders in the windows\options\cabs folder (or whatever the install path happens to be) with each of the drivers I need.

My question is how can I instruct windows to automatically look in those folders to search for the correct drivers?

The process must be automatic with little or no user intervention.

Thanks,

Dennis

A+, Net+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back