Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98se-to-xp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

torturedmind

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
PH
i want to install xp pro in my win98se box. will it be ok if i just delete windows system folders and program folders then install xp (fat32) without causing any trouble?.

thanks in advanced. peace! [peace]

kilroy [knight]
philippines

"Once a king, always a king. But being a knight is more than enough."

Do you not want to do an Upgrade?

I cant see any major issues doing what you say but normaly if you are going to do this i would either upgrade or format the HDD and start all over again.

Said by many of the people on these Forums.....

never never upgrade always take the time to back up your data and then perform a clean installation

Agreed... Upgrade installs most always leave you with a problem to fix later on.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

I agree with the clean install suggestion.

For XP pro, I would also recommend you use NTFS file system. Far more robust and secure then FAT32.

Hope this helps. Please let know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

re-format is not an option at this point. my home pc has 2 partitions, c (20gb) and d (20gb), and d drive is almost full so some of my data is in c. my cd writer just broke down a couple of weeks ago and i dont know anyone who owns one that i can borow so i cant burn my data to cd's.

so it's ok if just delete the said folders?

thanks again in advance. peace! [peace]

kilroy [knight]
philippines

"Once a king, always a king. But being a knight is more than enough."

You can convert your file system either during the XP setup or with the command: convert c: /FS:NTFS after the xp setup.

And no you shouldn't delete the windows folder, XP setup will replace it.

Hope this helps. Please let know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back