Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98SE machine unable to access shared resources on XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleK

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
My problem is similar to the one posed in thread697-879638 but as far as I can tell nobody was able to answer that one either...

I am attempting to print from a Win98/SE computer to the printer connected to an XP machine (home version). I am unable to see the printer (or shared folders) even though it is shared. When I look in network neighborhood on the 98 machine for the XP machine I can see its identification but upon clicking its icon the message comes up,
\\Boutique1 not accessible.
This device does not exist on the network.

The especially funny thing is that it was working fine a few days ago. The start of the problem coincides with one of our employees (who knows just enough about Windows to be dangerous) attempting to set the aforementioned printer as the default printer for Internet Explorer, but I can't find anything that appear amiss.

The workgroups are all the same. This is a peer-to-peer LAN (8 computers). Firewall is not turned on (there's a firewall in the router that provides Internet access).

I am able to access the shared folders and printer on the XP machine from other XP machines in the network, but not from any of the Win98 machines. Any suggestions?

Is the windows XP formatted in the NTFS format? that would cause the problem...

Also, XP home can be a real pain too.....

kaycek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back