Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98SE, I keep losing my wallpaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryinHouston

Technical User
Jan 4, 2001
US
I know this seems silly, but I keep losing my wallpaper (as selected using the display utility in the Control Panel). It stays around for a few hours or a day and it disappears. it does not come back when the system is rebooted. I have to go back into the CP, unselect my chosen wallpaper, then reselect it and it shows up again on the monitor. When it goes away, it seems to default to a puke green. What is happening and how can I stop it?

Jerry in Houston

Turn off active desktop.
Save your wallpaper as a .bmp instead of .jpg or .gif
Go to the appearance tab of display properties, and set the background color to anything you want, then load your background (desktop) paper, apply, OK. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Jerry,

Backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
if you see an entry named NoSaveSettings with a value of 1, right-click on it, choose modify and type in the number 0.

reghakr

HI I am having this problem with my WinMe set up. twice now I have switched on to find the wallpaper no longer in sight.I went through all the above witht he H-key settigs but couldnt find the suggested key anywhere.
Last time I lost it I got it back again and its has run for a few weeks now. until today when I cant get it back. It is listed in my display settings but even tho I use appply nothing happens.
I am going to try choosing a different wallpaper to see if that works otherwise I dont know what to do?
Thanks anyway.
:-(

Well I tried choosing anew wallpaper adn I was asked if I wanted to enable active desktop So I said yes and my wallpaper is back. But how did I disable th active desktop anyway. It is a mystery to me. the number of tiems my computer seems to set itself in a different way to the way I leave it. are there bugs that do this. I haev Norton Anti virus running except for emails cos they woant work if I do that.
This is getting complicated I wil clsoe now.#
thanksanyway ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back