Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98se freezes with beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlondikeMike

Technical User
Jun 10, 2001
US
Howdy all,
Having a weird problem with Windows 98se lately. It's done it to me only about 4 times in the last few weeks, but it's annoying. In the middle of doing something Windows locks up and some beeps come from the little speaker on the motherboard. The sequence of beeps is: 4 beeps-8 beeps-8 beeps. From there I have to pull the plug and reboot. It doesn't seem to do it any one program or operation in particular, just kind of randomly. Any ideas as to what the beeps mean in terms of error codes?

You are in the best position to Know what the beeps mean, look in your motherboard manual for it's beep codes or post with more system info. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Here's what to try....

First, open up your machine and pull your video card. Reseat it, and check to see whether this has fixed your problem. This error can occur when video cards over time get a bad case of "socket creep". If this does not work for you, see if you can beg, steal, or borrow some good new memory from someone to try in your machine. Switch it out, and give it a try.

-Stykler

Paparazi & sykler:
checked on the mobo manufacturer's site and it said that a 4-8-8 beep is possibly a PSU problem.
---------------------------------
*snipped from Intel's site-

Symptom(s):
After installing (2) 933-MHz Boxed Intel(R) Pentium(R) III processors, single/double bit memory errors occur. Also, a 4-8-8 memory beep error is received.

Solution:
Switching to a power supply supported on the chassis vendor list will correct this issue.
-----------------------------------
It's an OR840G mobo running dual-933 P-3's and I'm using a Liteon FS-020 box (as per Intel recommendation) and it's almost exactly a year old right now. I set up my system to dual-boot between Win998se and Win2k Pro. This problem has never happened in Win2K Pro, so I'm not sure that it's as much a PSU problem as a Win98se in a dual-cpu system problem. The only change to my system recently is I added a second video card for a 2-monitor setup. Windows 98 became extremely unstable so I disabled the second card (a Radeon in a PCI slot). Win2k just loves the second video card and I haven't had any problems with it. I do many hours a day of 3-D modelling in Win2k Pro no hiccups. Then I decided to see what the performance difference was between the Radeon and my Oxygen GVX1, so I uninstalled the GVX1 and have been running the Radeon by itself. The Radeon is, of course, much slower so I'll be re-installing the GVX1 today. I'll let you all know if Win98 is still unstable after I've used it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back