Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98FE problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltarho

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
GB
I've just finished a small app which should work on Win9x - it will pull out on NT based systems.

It is nothing fancy - it simply displays Resources, VCache stats and Swapfile info. It writes nothing to disk or the registry - it is info gatherng only. It is similar to Sysmon, being real time but is not configurable.

The problem I'm having is that it works fine on my 98SE and others but it is not working on a friends 98FE. It should also work on Win95.

If anyone has FE would you kindly try it for me. If it works OK then I'll need to help my friend with his machine. He lives thousands of miles away from me so I cannot get my hands on it.

The app has been virus checked and can be got here:

myweb.tiscali.co.uk/deltarho/DynRes&Mem.zip

Note: The file name (for download purposes) is case sensitive.

It would be nice to here that it works on Win95 as well but my main concern is with Win98FE.

Thankyou.

Believe it or not, there were a lot of changes in SE. I don't know if it is possible to make it backwards compatible without Windows source code.

Just tried it on 98FE and 95 osr2. Runs on 98FE, nothing happens on 95.

Thanks micker377

The app is API based and I'm only using 9x/Me APIs.

I've had one FE user come back to me who has it up and running so it may be a problem with my friends FE rig.

Thanks wolluf

More confirmation that my friends FE rig is suspect.

<nothing happens on 95>

OK - I'll have to pull 95 out of the scope for the time being. Thank you.

Well, I've got the answer I wanted but should mention that the flicker you may have seen was due to my taking an easy way out on the redraw - this has been attended to and I've no flicker on my system now.

I think a star for wolluf might be warranted for his taking time out for testing?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks Matt - done it!

The flicker free version, BTW, is at the address originally posted and Win95 has been removed from the scope.

There are a couple of exits which do not have message boxes - they are there to avoid a crash in the event of some functions not working. They are paths not expected to be used. One such is with regard the resource meter library. Perhaps this is an optional app and wasn't loaded on wolluf's 95 rig. I don't know as I did not come to the PC until 98SE. Rsrc32.dll is needed and this shipped with the later versions of 95 at least. Chances are that my app fails on 95 for a different reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back