Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 shared printer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

skfm

Technical User
May 2, 2003
MY
I have got this problem with the win98 PC in the network. I have setup this PC simply for printing purpose, as the rest of the PC in the network is running on winXP.

The problem is, after setting up the print sharing on the win98 PC, i proceed to all the winXp to install the shared printer. On the first round when i did a test print it was ok. But after the second time, all connections to the win98 pc seems to be lost. I tested it again by setting a shared folder in the win98 PC. I have no problem accessing it. This dismiss the network connectivity as part of the problem.

Have someone out there ever encounter such problems. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a solution.
Thank you.

'The problem is, after setting up the print sharing on the win98 PC, i proceed to all the winXp to install the shared printer. On the first round when i did a test print it was ok. But after the second time, all connections to the win98 pc seems to be lost'

Can you explain exactly what you did?

I would expect:-

Create the share on 98 machine
Go to first XP machine, for each logon in use on that machine, locate the shared printer and install it (making sure you use XP not 98 drivers). Print test page.
Repeat for each XP machine.

Printer should then be available from each user on XP machines.

XP machines don't have mandatory profiles?

What do you mean by 'all connections to the win98 pc seems to be lost'. Machine can't be accessed at all or just the printer isn't appearing in 'Printers & Faxes'.

Hi Wolluf,

THanks for the reply, alright I did exactly as you have describe. Create a share on win98, then proceed to every winXp, locate the win98 and installed the shared printer,installed a winxp driver and test print,OK.

Just to clarify, the printing could not be connected and sometimes it states that the printer is opening or it just state that printer not found at server, unable to connect. However when I did a ping on the PC its OK.Connection still intact.

Is the printer actually working ok? (ie, do you have any problems if you log onto 98 machine and print directly from there?)

Is the 98 machine set to go into standby or hibernation (or disks turned off etc) if left inactive for a while? (all power options best set to never off if acting as print server)

Is it the same for all XP machines - or do some work, some not?

>I have setup this PC simply for printing purpose

It is more convienient, cheaper and eco friendly to use printers which are network enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back