Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Scandisk and Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFCS

Technical User
Feb 26, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to change the Cluster Size on a hard drive without reformatting? I have a customers PC with Win98SE and it is on a 20gb hard drive. It is already set up for Fat32, but the cluster size is 4KB instead of the 16KB it should be. So with this issue the customer can not run scandisk or defrag on the hard drive. It gives the message "Your computer does not have enough free memory to defragment this hard drive" I looked at Microsoft and Article 229154 talks about it. But no real resolution. Thanks for the help.

Dumdum,
Thanks for the response.
I tried that also. I can run scandisk from Dos Prompt, but obviously Defrag has to be run in Windows.
Thanks again.

get partition magic and reset the size there is a microsoft KB article on it but will have to look for but it short it did say to use a third party software to set the size

Can't remember all the issues involved here MFCS .

4k is the default size , but then you get the 8.4 gb limit & partitioning .

Here are some links that cover it .

Even if the brand is different , you may find what you wan't to know here .

-----------------------------------------

Better off getting Windows ME defrag .

Windows ME defrag ( free ) , very fast . no need to close
( ctrl/alt/delete , I don't use a screen saver ) anything down to run defrag , no restarts .

Get it from here .
W9X-Me-Defrag

================================

Open Windows Explorer , go down to Windows , left click on the yellow
folder , this opens the right hand panel .
Scroll down to defrag & write down the exact name . Next , right
click on defrag , scroll down to rename & click on it . Now left
click at the end of defrag & add the word old . So if you had the
word defrag , it now becomes defragold .
Now rename MEdefrag to whatever you wrote down ( usually Defrag ) , drag & drop it on
the yellow Windows folder or anywhere in the right hand side .
Both achive the same thing & Windows will after you close , put it
alphabetically . That's it .

Or if you comfortable with altering files , just Copy & Paste ME defrag ( make sure it is named
Defrag ) into the folder .

=================================

Also , to make ME Defrag even Faster for it's 1st run ( you may have a corrupt file ) from
Windows Explorer , Delete all the files ( except the read only file )
in Windows > Applog . Taskmon will rebuild the Applog file .

To view Applog , do this .
Windows Explorer > View > Folder Options > View , click on Show all files . Click OK .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back