Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

praise2him

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi,
A simple question. I am trying to setup a password on Win98 to keep my sisters' son from getting into her computer. I set up a password but it is easily by-passed by pushing the Esc key. How can this be done to keep her computer safe?
Thank you,

I believe there is a registry hack, you might search
However, I recommend this utility, it is not very expensive, like 10 bucks.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Note this can be bypassed in safe mode, you could also set a boot password in the computer's cmos setup. Usually you have to tap the delete key, or F1, or F2 when the computer first boots up to get in there.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

depending on how saavy the son is, you'd also have to employ some "system policies" (easy regedits) to keep from accessing the floppy boot to bypass all, etc.. (also can lock down the reg from editing, though not recommended, cause you hinder yourself too). Usually a BIOS password can do enough, (as mattjurado states) -- depending.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back