Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98 or win95

Status
Not open for further replies.

yurksy

Technical User
Jan 12, 2003
US
i am running win95 on a gateway 2000,160 memory,200Mhz,2MB/GB harddrive and 6 years old. can anyone tell me if this PC can support win98? Where can i get Win98 and what version? I,m not too good at computer hardware and software. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, that is what I'm typing on now. SE however.
Off ebay, $70 to $90 a shot.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I had a friend who put WinXP on a system very similar to that; it was a Compaq 233MHz. Ran slow, but he didn't care. I'd think you can find a copy of Win98SE cheaper than listed above, but then again I haven't looked around.

Just make sure to ask which cd you're getting; the retail Win98SE cd's will not upgrade previous editions, must be a fresh install. Likewise, the upgrade version will not allow a fresh install and you're forced to have a previous Windows version installed.

That's what I've experience and been frustrated with, now watch as someone points out that their windows cd works differently...

Well, in my experience with these older type PC's (I have a 13 PC LAN in my basement with most of them being slow junk like this) I have found way better performance using the Windows 98 retail edition. Windows 98SE seems to have a bit more overhead with regard to the interface.

Either way as the others have said you can find a copy of Windows 98 cheaply if you look around.

But if you want it to perform about as good as Windows 95, I would say find a copy of Windows 98 Retail, and not SE.

Good luck!

Personally, I haven't seen much difference in performance between 98 and 98SE. There are but a few features that are different (ICS, IE version, etc). The advantage with starting with 98SE is that it's 98 patched. There are less updates to download from Windows Update site, and there are some not available for the original version of 98.

When considering the upgrade, don't worry so much about the difference between 98 and 98SE. Instead, I'd be more concerned about the overhead you gain going from 95 to 98. There isn't much, but enough to notice a slight difference on a slower PC.

I recall running 98SE on a Pentium 133 with no problems...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back