Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN98 not shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGClark

Technical User
Aug 19, 2000
US
Ok.. I am building a new puter for my kids to keep them off mine :p
IT is a AMD Duron 800 sitting on a Biostar M7V mobo, 128 MB PC100 RAM, My old Voodoo3 AGP card, WIN98SE SB Live Value sound Creative 48X CDROM. I have installed the latest drivers for all to include the VIA 4 in 1 drivers.
My problem is that the system will not shutdown (close windows ans shutoff) as a normal ATX system should, it just sits there at the "Windows is shutting down" screen with all the pretty clouds hehe. Also while it is trying to shut down, I notice the HD light jsut glowing then it stops after about 5 - 10 seconds.
Anyone see this before??

OH Ya.. Hiya KB244 long time no see =)

Mike
ledzep@isot.com
I am just an old Paratrooper and an avid hardcore gamer too which is gonna get me divorced =) I do not know C++ or any of that other stuff due to being in the Army for 14 years and am too lazy after long houred days to learn.

This is a recognized fault with win98 if you go to there is a patch for it, apparently it only works about 50% of the time though, also there are other trouble shooting tips relating to the same problem to be found there.

good luck

You may want to look at the win95/98/me forum. There is a 51 post thread pretty well covering this.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back