Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98 loses the cdrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

basicbill2222

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
CA
Hi,
I am trying to install win98se on an old presario 1210. (Pentium 200) with 128Mb of ram. The install seems to go fine until the final reboot and when the desktop appears the cdrom is nowhere to be seen. Not in explorer, my computer or even from the cli. This is puzzling since the cdrom is installing the OS in the first place.

Any thoughts?

Seasons greetings,
Bill W.

What does the mangler tell you about your IDE controller chips?
SE has some issues with Intel and VIA chipsets, where the wrong drivers get loaded and you can't see anything through the bridge chips.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

yeah - it works for setup b/c you're using the DOS driver loaded by setup - but comcrud prolly has proprietary issues with the 98 cdrom ide drivers....visit comcruds site for a softpaq
check autoexec.bat for the REM line concerning the CDROM...also it's possible the drive is connected to the soundboard and is ISA based on that old thing, but that would usually rear it's ugliness in the setup detection.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

I would suspect the Intel bridge chip problem. But that would show up in mangler.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

You may have to scroll all the way to "System Devices" (in Device Mangler), to see if there is a system conflict with the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back