Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 hangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezza33

MIS
Oct 30, 2000
GB
Laptop PC hangs intermittently when connected to NT Network, but does not when as a standalone. Installed under networking is client for MS, TCP/IP, Netbuei and file and print sharing for MS Networks. Any ideas why?

Basic answer is that Win98 is not meant for networking,
it's VERY unstable over a network. Especially on an NT Netowrk.
If you want to try some things, have a look at the network
card in there and see if that is ok, could be a problem with
data flowing. There should be a test you can preform that is
in the card's options... Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

If possible, try droping the netbeui from your list. Unless you really need it. I know we do this on occasion. Of course, we run IPX. Good Luck

problem is likely to be a task running over the network (or at least failing). when the machine hangs, does ctrl+alt+del show a task running? things that pop to mind are SMS (yuk). Also running a large document open over a LAN regularly hangs fragile Win98 machines. (I always copy big docs down, work on them, then copy back up at the end).

I concur with previous post.. unless NETBeui is there for a reason (unlikely), remove it. Not only does it increase overhead, but if your network is connected to the internet, it also presents a gaping security flaw.

MP

Re: NetBuei

The workstations do not log on if Netbuei is removed. Each PC has a static ip i.e 10.0.0.5 with a subnet of 255.0.0.0. Server has an IP address in the same subnet. I think this is why this company are still using netbuei. Any ideas why the PC's don't log on?

Make sure all the computers have the same workgroup and domain, and that Log onto Windows NT Domain is checked in client for microsoft networks. Assuming the NT PDC is setup properly, each user should have a seperate user account in user manager on the server.

I'm not absolutely certain, but a subnet of 255.255.255.0 might be more suitable.

You should then be able to get rid of netbuei.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back