Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 hangs at Windows Splash Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2001
US
Running Win98 with P3-550 - have tried to roll back the registry 2 days, but same problem persists. When I boot into safe mode, that locks up - cannot access Start Menu.

Windows is all alone on the C partition - if I have to slick the disk, can I just slick C and not affect the other partitions?

Help!!!

"Slick"? Never heard that particular term. If you mean format, yes. If you mean wipe the partition, no. If you mean anything else youll have to explain a little more Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

Hmmm - I must be a whole lot older than you - yes, it means format.

Is there anyway I can selectively just wipe the C partition?

to format the C partition, use a boot disk (or your win98 CDROM if your system will boot for a cd) and at the dos prompt type format c:

This will not affect files on any drive but the C drive on which all files will be lost

to format the C partition, use a boot disk (or your win98 CDROM if your system will boot for a cd) and at the dos prompt type format c:

This will not affect files on any drive except the C drive on which all files will be lost

I just put in a biostar motherboard and case together, it boots up fine.

but when it tries to read windows, it hangs on the windows 98 graphics screen.

should I try and go into safe mode?

if i get into safe mode what should I do?

msintrepid,

Hit F8 on startup, and choose Command Prompt. Type edit c:\windows\system.ini Under
[boot] Change
shell=;Explorer.exe
shell=progman.exe

If Program manager loads go to File>Run, type msconfig, go to the Startup tab and uncheck everything.

Either go back and change system.ini to the original or if you're comfortable using File manager, you can type Winfile under the File>Run and check your configuration files.
To open autoexec.bat, you go to the root of C: drive, highlight it, choose Run from the file menu and type notepad autoexec.bat

Hopefully this will get you back in.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back