Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 can't find a mouse!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
I am recently experiencing a weird and annoying problem. My PC which runs on win98 after it starts keep asking to connect a mouse to it, even though a mouse is already connected to it. It passes the BIOS and then keep asking for a mouse.
I have tried with 3 different mouses but it still keeps asking to connect one. I cant even use the keyboard to bypass.
Can anyone tell me whats wrong, it used to work well.

This may be an indication that your M/B mouse port has gone bad. If the keyboard is unresponsive also it is more an indication that the m/B has a problem.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Is the keyboard and mouse plugs reversed? Don't laugh - it happens!

Is the keyboard and mouse plugs reversed? Don't laugh - it happens!

-good point, I've seen such a condition cause a variety of problems that vary from motherboard to motherboard. Some early Tyan motherboards wouldn't get past hte bios POST that way with no error given.

Yea, we know Firefox is great. Some of us have customers who have no choice but to run IE, Blasting IE in every post is not helpful

Well no the keyboard and mouse plugs are not reversed.
If the problem is with the mother board then what should I do?

Motherboard replacement. Probably the M/B, processor, and memory.
When replaced, boot to safe mode, regedit and remove the HKLM Enum, reboot and install the new board's drivers.

Also, if nobody ever told you (I know of people who never heard of this) you should never, ever, ever, disconnect your mouse or keyboard until the computer is completely powered off. If you have ever done this, even once, that could be what happened to your mouse-connection. It won't damage the port every time you do it, and so you'll hear people say, "I do it all the time and nothing has ever happened." But if your mouse port gets fried, that's probably what happened to it. Laptop users are especially vulnerable because mice get connected and disconnected more often than with desktops.

I don't know what the problem was, but it helped after buying a new cordless keyboard and mouse. Now its functioning well and the old one is not! I guess the inner devices had been damaged. Yes, I had disconnected the mouse previously for some time and I guess that has probably damaged the inner parts.
Thanks for all your replies, my advice to you all is keep a spare keyboard and mouse in case something goes wrong, you'll never know!

I keep spares because I've found that a mouse and keyboard will only fail AFTER all the stores have closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back