Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 can't browse W2K shares...(not same as other topic!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwarmuth

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2001
CA
First off, I'd like to say that I didn't create this network, I only came in to trouble shoot it last week.

A client has a large peer to peer network with all win98 stations minus two, which are on W2K. Now the problem is that the win98 stations can't seem to browse the W2K stations shares. They can see the stations in their network neighborhood, but can't see the share either through NN or using the UNC. When you double click one of the W2K computers in NN you the the error below.

The specific error I'm getting is 'The device does not exist on the network'. Although this could be a rights issue I don't think so, because usually when it's a rights issue you get told outright you don't have permission.

I've done all the basic trouble shooting steps (ei. checking for matching protocols, making sure the network cards work/connectivity, blah blah blah) and I can't seem to get a consistant connection.

Occasionally I can browse the shares, but when I close the NN window and go back in I get the same stupid error. :/ Originally I enabled the guest account (they don't care about the security issues involved *shrugs*) and gave access to the shares in the NTFS security. Like I said before I'm really sure this isn't a rights issue, as I have set up user accounts on the W2K stations and even enabled the guest account for testing purposes and I still get that error.

Something I thought about right before I left, was that these PCs are configured with static IPs (again not my idea, it was like that when I got there). Even though this is a peer to peer network could having improperly configured static IP info cause this? I'm thinking possibly a DNS issue, but I'm drawing straws at that, since I can't see why that would affect anything.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? I'm out of ideas and I can't find anything on this on MSs site(that worked).
<hr color=&quot;blue&quot;>
Jeff Warmuth
MCSE, CNE

Just a hunch.....try installing Netbeui on the Win2K and a couple of the Win98 machines and see what happens. A+, N+, MCP

are the shared folders in Win2k in NTFS Partions or in FAT ??

and can you login backward ? I mean , can you from the Win2k PC see the shared folder in the Win98 ??? Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Yah, I can browse the Win98 stations from the W2K stations with no problems. And the W2K stations can browse each other after logining on correctly.

And yes, both the W2K stations are using NTFS. I already set up proper accounts on both and even tried using the guest account to no avail. I don't even get asked to supply a password. :/

PS - Thanks for the help guys. :) Keep them ideas coming! Jeff Warmuth
MCSE, CNE
ICQ 129152989

You can enable NETBIOS over TCP.It might be enabled by default but I dont think so. This should in theory allow down level OS's to contact the W2K machines.

Thats where I was going with Netbeui. I have seen flaky behavior like this on mixed networks running TCP-only with no WINS or DNS server. Each PC has to do its own resolving...sometimes works, sometimes not.

This also makes sense in the case where you can sometimes browse the shares. If you had a permission problem, you would never browse them.
A+, N+, MCP

yeah - if you can sometimes browse the shares - it's netbois over TCP/IP. You can also use LMHosts to confirure all the pc's in it since you said it was static IP's for all. If they aren't going to change, then the file would always contain the correct entries.

Open TCP/IP properties on your Local Area Connection, and select the WINS tab. Just choose &quot;Enable LMHosts lookup&quot; and &quot;Enable NetBios over TCP/IP&quot;. Make an LMHosts file if need be, and try again. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Having the incorrect subnet mask on one of the devices (either the client or the server) could cause this behaviour of occasionaly being able to connect but usually not being able to. I would check all the of the masks on the 98 and 2000 machines.

Hello, may be a problem between master browser and backup master browser. In a win98 lan and win2k station, win2k is default master browser. Check system log in win2k for conflict. You can setup win98 station from automatic master browser to none in Network properties.

Can win98 see the NTFS !!!!!!
I doubt it !!

Eng.Mohamed Farid

Yes, a Win98 machine can view an NTFS partition through a share. Win98 cannot use/manage an NTFS partiton directly but this is different. Win2K feeds the connecting PC the data and manages the drive/partition itself.

File system should not be a problem here. A+, N+, MCP

I knowe that I will learn as long as I can breath !
Eng.Mohamed Farid

Awesome ideas guys. :) Thank you.

THe client is replacing their carpets this week so I can't go back to try them right away, but when I do I'll let you know which ones worked! Jeff Warmuth
MCSE, CNE
ICQ 129152989

Make sure the Windows98 Machines have the same workgroup name under the identification tab as you have on the Windows2000 Pro PC's (I'm sure this is the case, I'm just trying to add something here since it is a good discussion).

You may want to recheck the TCP/IP settings on the Windows98 machines.

Also, what version of Windows98 and what Service Pack version of Windows2000PRO are you at?

And how many workstations are we talking about? How are the workstations connected (Hub, etc)

All the stations are as upto date as possible. W2K stations are service pack 2 with latest CUs and same with the Win98 stations.

I know that the TCP/IP is working okay on the win98 stations, because they can ping any other station and connect to the the wingate server (one of the W2K stations). IF it is a TCP/IP problem it's mostl likely on the W2K stations. Jeff Warmuth
MCSE, CNE
ICQ 129152989

Hi there :)
I had a similar problem but not that big.
(see in thread616-267801)
Can win98 machines see , browse and share between them?
The problem is win2k machines , right?
If you can ping , sometimes browse and can´t share between
win2k and win98 in &quot;both directions&quot;...
i think the problem is NETBEUI over TCP/IP under your win2k machines.
but it could be a lot of problems:
-old cable and equipment (packet colision)
-bad tcp/ip configuration (dhcp enabled/wrong workgroup/wrong sub-netmask)
-conflicts between master browsers
i don't think NTFS is a problem if you have the right permissions to access the shared folder
(even if you are using ms-dos).
See u guys soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back