Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN98 Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkster

Technical User
Oct 14, 2003
US
My power supply went out. In changing out the old one, I inadvertently plugged my CD ROM into the P7 instead of P6. Now my PC (Toshiba) will not boot up. When I boot from a WIN98 Boot disk, DOS does not see my hard drive nor does it recognize my CD drive (message notes CD ROM not installed even though boot disk contains CD ROM drivers and I cannot get a DIR of my C: drive.) Any ideas? I checked out the hard drive by setting it to be a slave on another PC. All I get when I boot without the startup disk is a screen that says "Toshiba" ie the PC does not try/cannot load Windows. Any suggesstions?

THANKS!!

Mark

Power supplies are numbered for identification although
some are different voltages I think you need to check your bios

Suspect that your power supply may have taken out the controller boards on the drives. But you probably can check that by using auto-detect if it is available in the system you are using for diagnosis.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

What is the boot order, if machine is trying to boot off of damaged drive it cant complete. Try placing hard drive first or second if you have a floppy drive.

Perhaps a rail on the power supply has gone down. Try another supply.

Andy.

Thanks everyone for your help. To update, I tried a third power supply and had the same results. Things I forgot to add on my original post - the CD ROM drive light comes on but the tray will not open when I press the "eject" button. Also the hard drive feels warm (slightly) but the disks are not spinning up. When I intalled the first new power supply and plugged in the CD ROM to the wrong lead, both fans shut off. I immediately unplugged the power suppy to prevent overheating.

I don't think it is the hard drive - I removed it and installed it into a second PC as a slave. It works fine. It feels slightly warm and I can feel the disks spinning. When installed as a slave, I can view all the files, copy, delete, etc...

It appears (maybe) that the devices are not receiving adequate voltage? I don't have a multimeter but I did install a third power supply so I don't think the power supply is the problem either. I re-installed the CMOS settings from the emergency repair disk. When I go into setup, the hard drive is not recognized - probably because it is not spinning up. The only thing I can think of is that there must be an issue with the main board???

Open your CD drive by inserting a straightened paper clip
or similar through the small hole in the front of the drive casing look close its nearly always there.
A non system disk can cause boot problems.
Check your cd drive by swapping it with another known good device.
If it checks out you have,good cd, good HD and as you have tried three PSU's that should be good.
Is the new PSU set to the correct voltage?
Is it an adequate wattage ?
Are the fans now spinning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back