Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN98 & dial-up networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mquinn0908

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
US
I have a win98 machine that I am trying to install an external modem on. The computer comes up and finds the modem and installs it and it appears in device manager and in modems in the control panel and when I do a diagnostic it comes up and sees the modem. The problem is when I go into dial up networking and try to set up a connection it says that it needs to find a modem and set it up. The wizard finds the right modem and says it has set it up but then it goes back to the screen where it says that it needs to set up a modem again. So it keeps going in a loop and I need to know what to do to get this connection set up

It sounds like you might have an internal modem on your motherboard that the system is detecting. If so, it can be disabled via jumper switches on the mother board. I ran across this while working on a friend's PC and it drove me nuts.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back