Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win95, will ASP work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan01

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
US
I have Microsoft Personal Web Server and Windows95. Even something as simple as <%Time%> doesn't resolve in Internet Explorer 5.5. Will I need to upgrade the operating system to test ASP pages? Thanks, Dan.

Hmmm....I think PWS does support up to ASP 2.0 but I am not sure. I know I am running PWS on my Win98 machine and it works fine. Exactly what is it doing? Or not doing I should say. In the above example you are putting <%=Time%> right? Do you have your virtual directory set up correctly for running the web page through the server? Let me know if you have other information about exactly what is going wrong.

Hi Jitter, how do you get a page set up as a virtual directory? I have the asp file in a folder that is defined as a virtual directory in Personal Web Manager. When I load the file, the regular HTML shows, but <%TIME%> doesn't show. Also, when I try to load the page directly in the browser in the address line, FrontPage automatically opens up instead! Is there a way to suppress that. Thanks, Dan.

are you trying to open the page using the physical address in the browser ie. C:\Folder\MyAsp.asp or are you running it through the server ie. This may sound trivial but are you sure that PWS is running. When you open up the PWS does the button say Stop or Start? Then again I am not totally sure if it runs on Win95. But these are some things to check. Let me know what you find.

Hi, I just tried to access the page using folder/test1.asp. Programming folder is defined as virtual directory. Text in the page shows, but the <%TIME%> value does not show. Does <%TIME%> need any includes or other libraries to work? Also, wieh I hold my cursor over the Microsoft server icon, a note says &quot;Personal Web Server is Running.&quot; Thanks, Dan.

Are you sure you have <%=Time%>? You must have the = sign in there.

You could also use <%Response.Write Time%>

You might just try adding <%Response.Write &quot;Testing&quot;%> to see if the asp is getting processed at all.

Officially, I am sure PWS is supposed to support ASP. However, I have done some development work in IIS and tried to migrate to PWS for some local testing. Code which did work in IIS was not treated correctly in PWS. I found it rather unstable and unpredictable when running ASP code.

Reccomend NT4 and IIS.

Hi all, I got ASP to work on my machine. PWS has a trouble shooting section which walked me through the fix. I modified the HOST file in Windows by adding 127.0.0.1 and my machine name to the HOST file, and removed the .sam extension from the file. I then went into Explorer and set up an Exception to proxy server using my computer's machine name. I typed localhost in the address bar of explorer and was invited by Microsoft to set up a personal web page using the PWS web page wizard. The <%=TIME%> works correctly now! Thanks guys, Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back