Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win95 clients cannot obtain an DHCP-lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

janneman

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
On a windows 2000 mixmode domain, we run DHCP on a W2K DC sp3.
We only use Win95 clients. Sometimes clients cannot extend there lease. We increased the leaseperiod to 5 days, but that didn't help. The clients have to run winipcfg to release and renew. After that the can work properly.

Our scope is 10.1.1.50 t/m 10.1.1.180
within DHCP the client gets a router 10.1.1.19, a DNS server 10.1.1.49, a WINS server 10.1.1.49 and an (0x8) hybride node.

The scope is never 100% full. At all times there are no more than 80% leased adresses.
We already moved the scope from one server to an other. The problem was still there. The old server was a NT4 sp6a server
So I think it is not a server problem. But what is the problem?

Quick fix until problem is solved. Write a batch file, place it on the users desktop, so they can do a quick fix.

cls
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
pause

Name it whatever.bat. When they lose the connection, all they have to do is click on the icon, and select open.

In the mean time, why not set lease time to never expire. Also, when a user loses there connection, have them do a ipconfig /all, copy and paste it into notepad and have them print it out for you. Compare with a good connection and see what's different. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The fruit derived from labor is the sweetest of all pleasures."
Luc de Clapiers, Marquis of Vauvenargues (1715-1747); French moralist.

The problem occurs during logon. So running a batchfile from the desktop won't work. It is also tricky to extend the leasetime to never expire. There are a lot of users with laptops in out domai. Sometimes they only login for an hour ar so. Afterwards these users may not login for a week. Also there are a lot of external users who login from time to time. The change of running out of IP-adresses then is a major threat.

It could be possible to run your suggested batchfile in a lofinscript. Maybe I will do that.

thanks for your reply anyway!

Jan Zwiers
BGN ICT b.v.
DEVENTER, the Netherlands

Batch file will work if you put it in the start up. I have engineers who use old dos programs that they can't access printers with, so I did a net use batch file, and when they start up in the morning, it loads printers. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"How many things, too, are looked upon as quite impossible until they have been actually effected?."
Pliny the Elder, Caius Plinius Secundus(c.23-79 A.D.); Roman writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back