Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win95 boot hangup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullshoot

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I just took in an older 486dx4-s system and the guy wanted win95 installed. (it had a dos datsbase on it) I formatted and installed win95a with no problems and now it will not boot. It will go past the win95 logo screen and stop at the blue screen with the pictures on it. The hourglass is up, but nothing is happening. I have let it sit this way for 20 minutes and nothing happens.
There is next to nothing in this system, no modem, no sound card. It has 16 meg ram (which i have changed)and a 406meg hd. I have also messed with a lot of setting in the bios, but nothing has helped.
The only failures i see in the bootlog are some fonts and the last entry is initdone=tsrquery

anybody got any ideas or sugestions?
thanks

The fonts will always be listed if it doesn't fully startup.

Try re-naming the autoexec.bat to autoexec.old
and config.sys to config.old.

Then tap the Alt_Ctl_Del keys to restart.

reghakr

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, you should be able to figure out what's causing the problem by checking the system properties, etc. If not, you have to recheck you BIOS setup. At least it gives you some entry point on where to go from here.

Thanks for the replys.
I added a simple autoexec and config file to the root of "c" and it did nothing. i then renamed them so it would be back like it was to start with.
It will not boot to safe mode. it will hang in the same place as a regular boot only with the words safe mode in the corners. it is so close...
i have also run a step by step confirmation boot and could not get anywhere with it.
i have enabled and disabled everything in the bios and it didnt help. i will start changing the settings in bios and see what happens.
one more thing, i loaded win98se and it did basically the same thing. it is reloaded now with win95.
i am open to most any idea you have now....
thanks
william

And look in msdos.sys/msdos.w40 file and see where it is pointing for the system files it is loading on boot. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Windows is confused. check motherboard and hd settings and memory you installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back