Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win8.1 updates failing since 4/17/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimmy613

Programmer
Feb 14, 2011
US
I just noticed that nearly all of my Windows updates have been failing since 4/17/2022:

Win8.1_failed_updates_b3utwz.jpg

Just a few exceptions succeeded:

Win8.1_successful_updates_tr28e6.jpg

Upgrading to Windows 10 (or 11) isn't at all an option now, so I would truly appreciate help getting the updates for 8.1 working.

What can I do to get all those updates applied?

Thanks very much!

Windows 8.1 stopped receiving feature updates in January 2018. (As its name suggest, a feature update is one that introduces new or improved features.) However, you should still receive bug fixes and security updates until January 2023.

I don't have access to the full update history for 8.1, but it is possible that there have not been any security updates since 17 April, which would explain what you are seeing.

If this is right, there is no need to worry. You can carry on using 8.1 for the foreseeable future, and you will continue to receive bug fixes and security updates (if any) up to next January.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

But from the screenshots I shared, you can see there are updates that are failing to be applied...?

The first KB article in that list is from 2014. It seems odd that it would be missed for so many years.

Can you right-click on each row to get details that explain the failure?

spamjim said:
Can you right-click on each row to get details that explain the failure?

Unfortunately, I cannot since one of the steps I tried was to clear the update history, so that history is gone now.

Does the KB article reappear when history is rebuilt with another check for updates?

Ensure that your PC is powered on and utilizing a non-metered connection to connect to the Internet. Change PC settings can be accessed by swiping in from the right side of the screen and tapping Settings. Following Windows Update, tap or click Update and recovery.

SpamJim, sorry, I just realized that I missed your question from back in ...June. Yes, it does reappear, but still showing "failed".

RichardHouse, I'm not sure what you're saying or suggesting. Yes, my PC is powered on. Yes, it's using a non-metered connection. And what are you saying about PC Settings? Please clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back