Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win7 sometimes forgets drive mapping for domain users

Status
Not open for further replies.

x11dude

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2010
US
Hi all! I know there have been a million discussions about this but it's just one of those Windoze annoyances.

In our Server 2008 R2 Standard environment, I have a couple of users who are continually plagued by lost network drive mapping.

Even if the PC goes into sleep or hibernate, it should theoretically remember. It does for mine, just fine.

Most users are fine. For one user, Win7 forgets both her network drives. For another, Windows7 forgets just one.

I have tried script with "persistent" switch; this doesn't help.

I'd rather just be able to click on "Remember" and just have it actually work. Since it's just for a couple of users, I'd rather not mess with scripting.

Again - it works fine for most users.

Anyone else figured this out?

Thanks in advance!
-x11dude

If this is a domain environment, try using group policy preferences for your drive mapping. This works natively for Vista/Win7 but needs a download for WinXP.

As far as a Win7 computer "forgetting" it's drive mapping, that really doesn't happen. I would look into your login scripts to see if it's being not removed under certain conditions. Also ensure the share is available during the logon.

You've covered most of the bases. One thing I'd double check is to make sure that the permissions are set the same as the other users who aren't dropping connections.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Oh, one other thing - I have some NICs that insist on being told what the speed and duplex settings are - they just won't autonegotiate like they're supposed to. Usually happens on Dell machines, I think.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Make sure the switchport settings match whatever you select on those NICs.

Thanks for your posts. Right now I'm still at a loss; I'll try to figure if there's a pattern and if one of your ideas might do it.

Thanks again,
x11dude

Ran into a worse situation in which drive mapping dropping was part of the issue due to SMB signing. Windows server 2008 suffers from SMB signing issues, just as the lower versions. Search google for disable SMB signing Windows 2008 . If you worried, it can be reversed .

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

silly question but can you reach the netlogon folder of all your dc's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back