Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win7 pro extremely slow shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaccaz

MIS
Aug 10, 2005
HK
Hi there,
win7pro sp1 computer joined w2k3 domain, previously so far so good.

recently all in a sudden, i don't know how it happened, shutdown now very slow, takes about 8 to 10 mins.

after enable verbose mode, during the shutdown process, the very slow portion is "shutting down group policy client service"

as the rest of the win7 computers don't have this problem, so it's really machine specific, understand that if i rebuild the computer from scratch it should be fixed, however it's too tedious.....

i tried to unjoin & rejoin domain but it didn't work, wondering where else to check what's wrong?

many thx!

understand that if i rebuild the computer from scratch it should be fixed" No guarantee of that. Exhaust other possibilities first.

Is your DNS server on the workstation set (manually) to the IP address of the domain controller. If not, you will often see very slow login as well.

If another user logs on to that machine and tries to shutdown is there any difference in the time taken? If things worked OK a few days ago can you use System Restore to get back to that point?

Linney has a good point, but checking the DNS takes about 20 seconds so do both.

thx goombawaho, dns is assigned by dhcp server, 1st entry is the ad server in local subnet, 2nd entry is the ad server (pdc) in remote subnet

thx linney, i'll further test with other ad user account & let you know the result.

hi linney, confirmed that it should be machine specific problem, my account didn't have problem on other win7 computers, other ad accounts also got same problem on my computer.

So, it sounds like something that's running on that machine. Do this. Login using Safe Mode with Networking and then shut down. It shouldn't hang. Boot up again and use Process Explorer to see what programs are running on two machines - the problem machine and one other. See if there is anything majorly different or suspicious.

Do you have roaming profiles?
Mapped drives?

Roaming Profile: Check to see if there is an issues with the roaming profile, it may be syncing a load of data in the background, or can't get to the place it's supposed to go to.
Mapped drives: Check they are all valid, no dead shortcuts.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back