Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win7 - data source name not found and no default driver specified

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsymonds

MIS
Jul 25, 2008
US
I just loaded up a Win7 64 bit machine and installed the Macola Progression Client. When I attempt to run System Manager I receive the following message - "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Data source name not found and no default driver specified"... I am running SQL 2005 SP3, Macola Progression 7.6.400B.

Any clues as to what's wrong here?

Well, 76400 is not suported on Windows 7. Is there some reason you do not upgrade?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

there are many reasons I have not upgraded yet. I do have many WIN7 systems using Macola. This one is mine and I need System Manager on it. We will be upgrading to the latest version in about 6 weeks. (after our year end) It is unfortunate that we have not upgraded in a while but my hands have been tied.

yes, turn off UAC on win7 systems and Macola runs with no issues - except SM.

What are you running in System Manager that is giving you this error? I'm betting earlier versions of Macola were not smart enough to recognize 32 bit versus 64 bit ODBC drivers...

Peter Shirley
Macola Consultant, PA and surrounding states.

If you are trying to run visual menu builder, this requires the full SQL tools - SQL management studio or Enterprise manager. If you are doing something else, please tell us what it is and give us the detail of the error message.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

I goto Visual Menu Builder | Connect| and get a pop up error message - "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Data source name not found and no default driver specified"...

Do you have the full SQL client installed on this machine? This is required for Visual Menu Builder.

It could be that the DMO components aren't there - VMB requires SQL DMO. This is an optional component of SQL2005 and not shipped at all with SQL2008. Check the Exact portal for more info. on SQL DMO.

I'd still compare the ODBC datasources in the 64bit and 32bit ODBC administrators (Windows/SysWow64 for the 32 bit administrator).

Of course, it might just be easier to upgrade Progression....

Peter Shirley
Macola Consultant, PA and surrounding states.

yes, sql client... I am backed into a corner on the upgrades here... we are heavily customized and i have to get Exact programmers involved and also have to upgrade all my clients. I really need to get everything moved and 100% on a new server prior to the upgrade process. Additionally we run Sharepoint databases on the server and do a large amount of SQL reporting. I really need to get SM running on my workstation prior to all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back