Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win4Lin serial port drops data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steinermann

Programmer
Sep 17, 2002
US
I have a custom application that my department wrote for windows to communicate on the serial port. Instead of rewriting it to work under Linux, we decided to just use Win4Lin. The problem is once in a while the data from the windows serial porst gets dropped. Has anyone had experience with this, and is there a way to make the serial porst more reliable under Win4Lin? I have tried several windows tweaks, but they did not help.

Win4Lin is a horrible hack on a VM for Linux. It only attempts to create a virtual system which has tons of holes in it. If Win4Lin was a true X86 virtualizer, I'd be able to run Linux, Minix, Dos, OS/2, or any other OS software within it. Try it (heh). Nope, everything else fails with code 0F.

Now look at VMware. Yes, it does emulate everything down to the hardware level, along with the bios. It costs a bundle too. Still, You might want to invest in 1 copy of that for testing. At least no stupid serial virtulizer is going to poop-out.

Good Luck, Krale.

I am sure VMware is better, but is costs alot more money. management hates spending money. Win4Lin works great for the most part, it is just a little shaky in the serial port area. I just need to make the serial port a little more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back