Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win32Time error and a single machine on domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopRung

Technical User
Oct 31, 2002
US
Windows 2000 server sp3 domain environment with about 30 PCs all XP pro. The server is running atomic clock sync. One machine's time shifts forward and back regularly. That machine is XP Pro SP2. Eventually it synchronizes with the server.

Additionally, the machine is using a Database application, and daily reports an error that the connection is lost, and the user has to reconnect to the DB app.

This is not occurring on any machines other than this one. I believe it the DB issue is related a result of whatever is causing the sync issues.

Event viewer has numerous entries as follows:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 14
Date: 11/4/2004
Time: 8:14:00 AM
User: N/A
Computer: RECP4600C
Description:
The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

And get rid of the atomic clock sync program on the DC. It's not necessary (use the command that Albion gave you) and it can cause problems.

really? Wow,Atomic clock sync (ACS) was suggested here in the community, and i have been using it to make sure the server stays accurate.

Since the workstations poll the PDC, i figured that if the PDC is correct, all workstation would be as well after polling. And up until this one machine, everything has been A-Okay.

Here is another twist on the situation:

[IF] the firewall that is in place does not allow SNTP traffic, is there another server based way to accomplish this and what does ACS do that is different?

respectfully!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back