Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win32/Valla.2048 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs211024

MIS
Aug 14, 2003
CA
I got the Win32/Valla.2048 virus on my computer. The anti-virus I was using, AVG, quickly alerted me of it's presence but suddenly restarted.

When it started again I was able to log on as Administrator, but quickly got sent back to the log-on menu. It keeps on doing this and eventually restarts again. I am aware that this virus restricts the use of infected files.

Therefore I tried to run the removal utility of this virus in command prompt. When I got there in safe mode, it quickly sent me back to the log-on screen. I have not been able to get in MS-DOS or command prompt to stop this nuisance,
ANY HELP WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED!!!

You typically don't run dos scanners on non - win9x computers. Even if its fat32 on your system, I'm not sure. So you go to safe mode, can you stay in long enough to scan using the windows scanner in safe mode? If not, I suspect you need to pull the drive, and slave it off of another computer running windows 2000/xp with an up to date virus scanner. Scan, and repair all files you can. If you can't repair them, and the scanner only wants to quarantine, I suggest running the free trial of virobot, which tends to repair more files than a norton or mcafee can.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks Matt. I will use another pc to scan this disk as slave. Since AVG can not heal it, I will try other tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back