Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2kPro INstall problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2004
US
Trying to upgrade a Presario 5451 to Win2K Pro for a customer. Tuff Tested all the components everything checks out fine. Clean install to a reformatted hard drive. Install seems to go along without a hitch until it gets to the portion where it installs the IIS and COM and other related components. At that point the system reboots and the install restarts near the point of the key entry.

Have removed all cards. Reformatted the disk. Tried using another HD. Original install formatted NTFS, tried FAT to no avail. CrashPAQ's web site is useless. I know no one is surprised by that. System had a bootleg copy of XP Pro on it prior and was running, like a snail, but is was running.

have you successfully installed win2k from that cd before? Sounds like something was corrupted when it was copied over.

"Why are we necessary?"
"Only to rise up to the challenge"
-Macross Plus-

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, we have tried different disks. Same result.

Tim Hunt, MCP, CCA
GulfCoast Networking, Inc
New Port Richey, Florida

The only time I had a similar problem, (install failed at same point regardless of media, hard drive, and\or all boards removed) It was solved by changing the memory. In my situation the computer had 2 sticks of memory and when I reversed their positions the install was sucessful.

Worth a shot if you haven't already solved this problem.

George
MCSA +Messaging (Win2k) A+, Net +

Thanks George, I'll give that a try today and let you know how it turns out.

George, You're the man!!! It worked. I've got to tuck that away in my bag of tricks.

Thank you very much.

Tim Hunt, MCP, CCA
GulfCoast Networking, Inc
New Port Richey, Florida

You're welcome, that's what this forum is all about.
Besides we are neighbors. I live in Lakeland, Fl. (-:

George
MCSA +Messaging (Win2k) A+, Net +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back