Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k8 DNS alternate addy issue and error 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnknownEntity

Technical User
Jun 15, 2006
GB
Hi everyone,

Got DNS issues with windows 2008, I am trying to setup a server 'x' with 4 PCs I have created a DC, Active directory, domain, DNS as well, forward and reverse lookup zones created, including 'A' host records etc.

1) What address do I put in the alternative DNS entry on the NIC card? Since there is only one DNS server 'x' and no alternate, all attempts to use router, ISP addy or 127.0.0.1 have failed when I run dcdiag /test:DNS. It shows up as so many errors.

2)Dynamic DNS fails, I get Event ID 4521 > 'The DNS server encountered error 32 attempting to load zone_msdc xyz from active directory. Please help !!! Thanks.

Drakul

The PDC needs to face himself for DNS and nobody else
Replica DCs need to point to PDCe for preferred and themselves as alternates (if DNS is installed, which it should be). Clients should then be pointing to these DCs for DNS servers.

On the server side, forwarding should be used out to the router IP (or preferrably, the ISP DNS servers IPs).

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back