Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k3 -- How to Reduce Partition Size ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0r0

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2003
GB
Hi
I have a Win2k3 server running as a Terminal server that has a 34GB single NTFS partition of which about 6GB is in use, Is anyone aware of any standard Microsoft tools that will let me reduce the partition size to say around 10GB with out affecting the data. Basically I want a smaller Partition so I can use ADS to take an image to put on a smaller drive. I've looked at Diskpart but i can't see anything to reduce a partition.
Any help would be useful.
Thanks

Didnt 2000 have a facility to change the volume size of a partition on a dynamic disk?

I always use partition magic though Ive not tried it with 2003.

Don't believe that you can resize a "Primary" partition w/Dynamic Disk in Windows

Partition Magic 8 is very good. You should backup EVERYTHING that you can't afford to lose prior to doing any partition resising, especially a primary. Although unlikely given the size of the drive you stated, an OS reload may be necessary once you're finished. Data is not written sequencially on a HD so you run the risk of 'cutting' off data by resising the partition. Definately do a Defrag before you resise, this helps prevent the 'cutting off' of data that has been written speratically over the drive. If everything seems fine when you're finished, you still may find that some programs may not work properly due to the loss of a random file that you 'cut off'. Partition resising works and is very useful, but be careful and be aware of what you're doing before you start.

Thanks guys, Partition Magic will probably be the choice then. Good tips and makes sense to do the defrag first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back