Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K wont renew adapter w/ "ipconfig /renew"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabz

Programmer
Jan 9, 2002
US
I have a PC running Win 2K and I have cable internet, at first my computer was setting the IP address to (169...) and I turned AutoIpconfiguration off so it would stop this. After doing that I was able to release my adapter but when I tried to renew it, it said that "an operation was attempted on something that is not a socket", could someone please help, i'm running linux and Windows ME on the same machine and I can get on the internet fine with those, its just Windows 2000, thanks in advance!!

Do you have more than one adapter or something that Win2k thinks is an adapter? Might try specifying your adapter when you do the /release and /renew if you havn't already. Also, if that doesn't help at all, check your event viewer for more specific errors and post anything you find here. Marc Creviere

I only have one adapter and when I checked the Event viewer I get the SAM error event ID:12291 and DHCP error event id:1001.....i'm still stuck please help me, thanks for directing me to the event viewer!

*slaps his forehead for not reading the first post more carefully* You turned off autoipconfiguration? Where did you do that (I'm not familiar with that exact term)? You probably need that running for DHCP to work. The 169.x.x.x address is what the system assigns when no DHCP server could be contacted. Marc Creviere

lol, well I turned it off b/c it was assiging the 169.x.x.x rather then connecting to DHCP

Well then your problem is with 2000 not getting the DHCP info. Some cable modem providers require you to have a specific host name in order to recieve your address. Marc Creviere

But see its weird because when this started happening I installed Win ME and I already had linux on the machine and it works on both of those its just Win 2K

I got it working, thanks for all your help without you sending me to the event viewer I would not have been able to do it, thanks for everything!

What turned out to be wrong with it? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Basically winsock just had to be taken out of the registry, so it would renew it self on a reboot and tcp/ip reinstalled, if you would like to know which keys I removed I can tell you but I will have to do it tonight when I get home!

can you let me know which netries you removed as I am also having the same problem

Thanks

I'm having this problem also. Would you please tell me which keys you removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back