Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k will NOT connect using ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pldua

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
CA
Sorry correction made on subject line..
I have 2 pc's one is the ICS machine(XP PRo) which is directly connection to a cable modem. The other is networked using a Hub and uses the ICS through XP Pro. The second pc was running Win98SE until I upgraded to Win2k and it was fine when I upgraded it was able find the internet connection. The next day when I turned it on, the Win2k cannot find server(I use static IP). I checked the settings on Win2k million times and everything is fine as far as I'm concern.
The XP machine is fine and connects, but the Win2k cannot ping the XP machine's IP address, I tried pinging DNS 4.2.2.1 and all I get from all the ping's is "Request timed out". The Win2k can ping 127.0.0.1 and does get Replies from that. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm which I taught might be a problem, but problem still persists. I tried to install back my old OS Win98se by using a Win98 Start-up Disk but when it prompts A:\ and I type Format C:\u or C:\s it says that C: does not support Format or cannot be formated.
I would appreciate if anybody can help in pointing out what is problem with the Win2k connection OR why I cannot format C: using the Win98 Start-up Disk.
Thanks in Advance!

pldua,

ICS hands out addresses in the 192.x.x.x range from a small DHCP server, so you need to set Win2K to use "DHCP" to obtain a IP address.

Ian

not necessarily.. i am running ICS at home and use a static setup. 192.168.0.0 network with .1 being the server, .2 a laptop, etc

I assume you have 2 nic's in the xp pro machine.. 1 with an ip from the cable modem (dhcp probably) and the other with a static 192.x.x.x is the 2k machine's default gateway and DNS the same IP as the 2nd NIC in the xp pro machine? also are they on the same subnet?

what happens when you ping the 2nd NIC on the xp machine from the 2k machine? how about the outside NIC?
also make sure you remove the firewall from the 2k machine and temporarily disable it on the xp pro machine while you check things out.

Thanks for the replies mapleleaf, nlm9802.
Actually I went ahead and FDISK the partition and my only problem now is that since I partion a HDD that was only 6gig it created a new partion of only 2gigs, how can I restore the rest or re-do FDISK with all 6gig of HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back