Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyjim

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2001
EU
Can anybody tell me why - that when I try to run the upgrade from win98 or Me to 2k the install bombs out completely and ends up with me reformatting the entire drives?

There are no hardware issues involved ( all brand new machines ) and have checked for compatibility.

Interestingly , a few colleagues of mine have had no luck in doing the same thing either.

Can anyone shed a little light as to "why"...

cheers

"What happens if I press *that* button?"

All I can say is I have seen your experience repeated numerous times. I have *NEVER* seen a successfull upgrade.

I have to agree with jaeddy. I've found it much easier to copy any files you need onto floppys, whipe out the hard drive and do a full install. Much cleaner. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"All things are difficult before they are easy."
Thomas Fuller (1608 - 1661) English scholar, preacher.

W2k Pro does not support an upgrade form ME...nuke and pave is the way to go here.
I have just completed 8 more upgrades from 98SE, without any problems....absolute key to success is updating BIOS to latest ver. for your board. Then make sure you have all the Win2k compliant drivers for NIC video, sound, modem etc.
do the upgrade, then install the drivers
Of course, all of this means nada if your processor/ram is not up to snuff....Big Bill says that 64 mg is enough for Pro, but forget it...128 will barely keep you happy.

Actually, I successfully upgraded my laptop from win98SE to win2k and a homebuilt desktop (AMD processor). Configuring things got a bit hairy but pay attention to the upgrade report PRIOR to performing it. (add/change drivers, delete non-win2K software like Norton and reinstall it after the upgrade).

I didn't want to lose what I had on my personal desktop, threw the W2K upgrade in and had no problems. The only thing I lost was SQL. The machines I wipe are here at work, since they all have standard setups. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."
Albert Camus (1913-1960); French writer and philosopher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back