Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Unresolved Shutdown problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialstudy

Technical User
Apr 13, 2003
US
I recently upgraded a Compaq 7470 from Win98 to Win2K Pro (no domain). Everything went fine and I installed the latest service packs (SP3) and hotfixes. I tested and re-tested the machine and everything was groovy. Then I installed Norton Anti Virus 2003 Professional Edition. Since then my computer has taken unusually long (3 minutes) to shutdown and restart and in some cases does not do either. I emailed Symantec support and did the things they suggested (disable floppy scan...blah,blah,blah) but the problem remained. They then had me remove Norton AV to see if it was related to the application or if it was a Microsoft issue. Of course when I uninstalled Norton AV the problem continued and they said "Talk to Microsoft." I have read many threads here on tek-tips.com and KB articles on Microsoft and the problem still continues! Here are the things I have tried:

1) Uninstalled Windows security update Q329170 and Q328310
2) Changed the Maximum retries to unload and update user profile to a max of 5 (still getting error userenv ID 1000)
3) Disabled the print spooler service

Is anyone out there having the same problem? I see that most people's shutdown problems have been solved by item 1 above, I wish that were the case for me. The only error I am getting consistently is the userenv error ID 1000. Let me know if any of you solve this. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back