Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Terminal Server CALs required??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModularIT

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2001
AU
Hi all

I'm new to Citrix so I have an easy one for you.
I read that after installing Terminal Services in Application mode on Win2K Server in preperation for a MetaFrame XP install, you require the same amount of Terminal Server CALs as Citrix Licenses. Is this true?

It seems odd to me that a software package (MetaFrame XP)that is providing a more sophisticated version of essentially the same services (as TS) requires you to pay for licenses of both. This would seem to make an already large investment even more out of reach!

Thanks

Nick

Yes, you need TS CALS for each client except Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional

Thanks for your reply.

So if I only have Win2K Professional clients on the network then I don't need Terminal Service CALS? But I still need to activate the Service in Application mode before installing MetaFrame XP??

Correct!
All non 2k and XP clients need TSCALS.

//Chris

Thanks guys!

...and my apologies.
I see now that there is already a FAQ on TS licensing.
oops!!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back