Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k slowness

Status
Not open for further replies.

kettch

Programmer
Mar 5, 2001
US
I support a major powerhouse computer at work. It has dual P!!! 1Ghz processors and 512Mb or RAM. Yet it consistently boots windows 2000 slower than a single processor 500mhz computer with 128mb of RAM.

What could cause this to happen? Is it because the larger machine has to start more services (which it does) than the smaller machine? What other types of bottlenecks are there as far as windows loading speeds?

you got the latest drivers installed? (chipset, sound, video, motherboard, etc)

also check your device manager to make sure there isnt any hardware with a yellow or red warning notice. CPU speed isnt the only thing that can slow down windows, HDD and motherboard type can play a role as being a bottleneck to the system. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Are you by chance attaching to a NetWare server? If so, it's the NetWare Client that's dragging you down.

Check Microsoft support document Q269590.

RacerX

That is a funny way of stating what Microsoft says on there website. They say, in the White paper you noted the following:

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.

IT IS NOT a Novell Issue and the Novell Client IS NOT "dragging" you down. Lets slander truthfully, mmmhkay.

Thanks for all your help, i just figured out that since i do have more services running than some of the other computers running 2k that i have seen booting. Also with the incredible speeds that this computer is running at, i have discovered that in terms of booting and shutting down, windows is the bottleneck. I tested boot times on a 300mhz, 500mhz, 600mhz, dual 866mhz, and the dual 1ghz boxes, all seem to boot within a few seconds of each other, with slower computers with less services booting faster than faster computers with more services. So ultimately it is a problem with microsofts products.

You may also be interested to notice that while netware client won't drag down your computer, is is sometimes better to use the microsoft netware client instead because NWlink actually works better than the original IPX/SPX protocol. At least that's what my coriolis networking essentials book said.

There are manatory wait times in all Windows Products. Set them to 0 and the will be better. Look on the Web for actual site locations containing info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back