Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Service Pack 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

250LWB

MIS
Jun 27, 2002
US
Is there anything I need to be aware of if I'm updating to SP3? I know this is a broad question, but the last SP I dide was on an NT machine and it screwed things up royally (SP6.0).

Thanks!

D. Penoff
Tech Resource
SDHC

Just apply it. If something goes wrong then you have to fix (ie: they were wrong before too).

Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

When performing the install it will prompt you and ask if you want to archive the files, select "yes", this is so you you can uninstall sp3 if anything is wrong. Just remember archiving requires a good amount of disk space.

SP3 is a bit of a debatable subject here. Some people have seen major problems others haven't.

Its always wise to be cautious - make sure you have backups galore, and make sure as cbrider said to archive the files.
After doing it, do a reboot, check the event viewer and test a couple of clients.

Ash.

The update went without a hitch. Guess I'm living right. Thanks to all for the support and suggestions.

I asked because I used the ill-fated SP6.0 in NT during the 2 weeks or so that it was out. It royally hosed up my servers, took me the better part of a day to straighten things out and gave me a few gray hairs in the process. I've beed gun-shy ever since. . .

250LWB

The NT4SP6 issue was a Microsoft screwup, they decided to change the way the tcp/ip stack handled various things and in the process killed several mainstream applications (memory tells me Lotus Notes was one)...

If it helps your conscience, MS has been putting signifigantly more QA into the release of full service packs since that event.

Try installing Windows 2000 SP4!!!

I have just installed it without any problems so far...(On a test machine of course)

mmaxx
MCSE Win2K
MCSE NT4
MCP E2K Admin

mmax,
Windows 2000 SP4?

Where did that come from, is it a "beta" service pack?

I have not seen anything at M$ yet. Do you have a URL?

SF18C
CCNA, MCSE, A+, N+ & HPCC

"Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back