Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K server / Win 98 network configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

interfact

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2001
AU
Sorry in advance for the newbie questions. (My Win2K vendor did a half-baked installation.)

I have a Win2K Server server (the domain controller) and 2 Win98 workstations with one domain.

I am using Active Directory Services. MS help states that DNS is installed automatically and implies that no further configuration is required for a single domain but information from other sources states that you must configure it. True?

I understand that the IP address of the server is that assigned to its LAN card (e.g. 192.168.0.1).

I have configured DHCP, DNS, WINS servers on the server -- all with the same address (i.e. 192.168.0.1). (I notice that some references give DNS server addresses like this: 10.0.0.1. Am I doing this correctly?

On the Win98 PCs, I have configured them thus:
* obtain an IP address automatically (via DHCP)
* use DHCP for WINS resolution
* enable DNS (with the host name being the name of the PC, the domain being that for my network and the IP address being that of the server given above.
Are these correct?

The system seems to be working OK except that NSLOOKUP reports a non-existent domain. (I have set up a Reverse Lookup zone.)

I wouldn't bother with it!

Give them their own specified IP's. The server doesn't really touch 98! Steve Hewitt
IT Administrator

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified System Engineer

Pray, why would u need to set up a Reverse Look up Zone?
When u typr ipconfig / all, what does it show you?

Check that the auto-numbering "feature" in win2k has not caused the addresses you specify to be 10.x.y.z as this is a distinct possibility if you did a default out-of-box install. Follow khozis advice and report the ipconfig /all to us.

Great responses. Thanks.

The reason that I went with DHCP is that I was advised that it is easier to maintain that manually setting IPs. (I also believe that you need to use it with DNS and that you need to use DNS with Active Directory which I do want to use.)

The reason that I setup the reverse lookup zone was that advice from various forums stated that that was what you should do if you get the non-existent domain error message from NSLOOKUP.

I have included data from IPCONFIG and the event viewer below.

-------------
IPCONFIG /ALL shows:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : interfact-fs1
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : interfact.com.au
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : interfact.com.au
com.au

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 21143 Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-48-54-13-28-4D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

PPP adapter Datafast:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.123.71.237
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 203.123.71.237
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.123.67.4

-------------
Also the System Log in Event Viewer shows the following error which may be relevant:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ipnathlp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 31002
<snip>
The DNS proxy agent was unable to bind to the IP address 192.168.0.1. This error may indicate a problem with TCP/IP networking. The data is the error code.
Data:
0000: 1d 27 00 00 .'..

I assume the client points its DNS server address to 192.168.0.1 - check this by running WINIPCFG.EXE on the win98 client.

Try typing NSLOOKUP computernametoresolve 192.168.0.1

Does this resolve a name
I notice you have IP routing enabled but the Ethernet interface doesnt have a default gateway, this will mean only the PP interface can resolve names and any lookups on IP addresses from the Ethernet side of the network will fail.

Go to Control Panel, Network and change the server default gateway to 127.0.0.1.

Alternatively, you may also want to try setting the DNS address on the server from 192.168.0.1 to 127.0.0.1 (the loopback address).

Thanks again.

WINIPCFG.EXE on the client showed that it did see the DNS server at 192.168.0.1.

----------
Re. NSLOOKUP for the computer, output is below.
Server: interfact-fs1.interfact.com.au
Address: 192.168.0.1

Name: dell.com.au
Address: 143.166.82.251

The name of the workstation computer is dell but I don't know where the address of 143.166.82.251 is coming from.

----------
Re. the default gateway, I was unable to enter the 127.0.0.1 address with the message &quot;IP addresses starting with 127 are not valid because they are reserved for loopback addresses.&quot; being displayed.

----------
If I set the DNS address on the server from 192.168.0.1 to 127.0.0.1, won't this be different to the NIC and therefore be hidden from the workstation? and would I have to use that address for DHCP, WINS etc?

When you set up as DHCP did you setup the scope and authorize it?

Ok I ran into problem when I set up my server and tried ipconfig release and renew.I ended up going and joining a workgroup and then back to a domain and it all of a sudden started working. i understand that you are in a workgroup so that wont work but the ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew might work for you.
The only other thing I can think of is the pro is not using the IP address you need so you have to specify it or go to your server scope and allow the address it is using.

Thanks. I am very grateful for all suggestions given.
I will let you know if it comes good.
Cheers.

Look, to be honest, is it reallt worth it?! I mean, for just 2 computers?
I can understand 10+, but not for just 2!

From a MCSE, my professional advice it simply set them yourself, if its only 2 machines, then its worth too much hassle.

I also seriously recommend you get Win2k Pro. 98 is complete crap when it comes to Networking. GPO's, Security, DFS, its doesn't work with 98! If you can afford 2k Server, then you can't afford NOT to have 2k Pro.

Steve Hewitt
IT Administrator

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified System Engineer

Thanks Steve.

Looks like its time to upgrade.

Cheers,

Peter.

You have a lot of issues boddy,
1- get rid of dhcp, for 3 pcs just set it up yourself. it can be a bit complicated if you do not know a fair amount of what you want to do. you will need to set up a scope, authorize it, set up the options like dns, wins, default gateway, ect. so give each pc including the server an ip in the range 192.168.0.x 255.255.255.o as subnet, enable dns as 192.168.0.1 in the win98 pcs, this is your w2k server which has dns set up. Unless you want your win 98 machines to cross this subnet or get to the internet using this network you do not need a default gateway.
2- make sure youe win98 machines are login to thw win2k domain (interfact).
3- you do not need wins, you are using dns
4- try adding an active directory patch avaible for win98. It is found in your w2k cd. This will enable the win98 machines to fully participayte in AD.
4- get rid of ip routing in the server, unless you want it to be a router, and i think you do not need to. this is a big security hole if you are not filtering ip trafic.

good luck... DZ

Fantastic advice. Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Peter.

Action taken:
1. I disabled DHCP on the server, deleted the records in the DHCP Win98 clients and set up fixed IP addresses for each of the two workstations.

2. I disabled WINS on the server and workstations.

3. I got lots of errors re. SQL server being unable to update records. Reference material on the error messages indicated that AD requires DHCP to be enabled to update its database so I re-enabled the DHCP server component service. No more errors.

4. I added the AD patch for Win98 to both workstations. Didn't go smoothly but worked eventually.

5. Re. IP routing, I do want the workstations to access the Internet via the permanent connection on the server. That is why the systems integrator set it up as a router. Is there another way? (BTW, I want each user to have a separate Outlook e-mail account stored on the server which is proving difficult to achieve.)

6. I now have a problem where I can't access a particular web site (mine!). On pinging the site, I received an &quot;unknown host&quot; error message. I fixed it when browsing from the server by entering the ISP's IP as an alternate DNS server in TCP/IP properties. However, I am still unable to reach this site from the workstations (but can reach all other sites).

I have tried entering the same IP in the alternate DNS address on the workstations but doesn't work. (I have setup the default gateway on them to 192.168.0.1).

7. Ultimately, I want to set up a VPN to enable all users to have remote access to files and apps. via the Internet using Terminal Services.

8. The original problem of NSLOOKUP being unable to find the name for my domain controller remains:

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent domain
Default Server: <server name>
Address: <address of alternate DNS server>

As usual, I would be grateful for any suggestions.

hello,

I had the same problem on windows 2000 server, of getting a non existent domain error when i did an NSLOOKUP. However i noticed that it said &quot;can't find server name for address&quot; .... so, i just created a PTR record in the reverse lookup zone and added the fully qualified domain names of my NS server. After this, everything worked fine. Another way to do this is check the 'create ptr record' checkbox in the forward lookup zone in the DNS manager.

Hi interfact, I think I mignt be able to help you for some aspects of your problems.

1- For your website, all you have to do is add a Host record in your DNS called the ip adress of your website. The thing is the your website (ex. has the same domain name as your AD domain (ex. yoursite.com) so the DNS server tries to find a computer named your AD domain so adding this record in your DNS server with the correct IP adress will solve this.

2- For the emails, are you using Outlook, Outlook Express, etc. ? If you're using Outlook, just set the clients up to get the emails from their ISP's and create a .pst (Personal folder) file for each of the and store it in a specific folder on your server. I think you can do it too with Outlook Express.

3- Just a little tip for DNS. If you want all your workstations to have the Internet, just go in the properties of your DNS server, you have a tab for the Forwarders. Check the option Use forwarders and enter the adress(es) of your ISP. Then make sure that you have entered your DNS server's adress in the client's DNS and you're all set!

4- Finally, for the VPN, just go into the properties of your server's Administrative tools and open the Routing And Remote Access console. Configure your server as a VPN Server (Right Click on the server an Configure.. then just follow the steps), choose all the protocols, make sure that when asked, you choose the adapter connected to the internet. Then if you have a DHCP server, let the adresses be assigned automatically, otherwise you'll have to specify a range of adresses but since you don't have that many pcs it shouldn't be a problem. Once you server is set up, just configure a VPN connection to the adress of your server on the internet.
For Terminal Server, if your clients are Win2k pcs then you don't need Client licences but if not, yuo need to buy them but you still have a 30 day trial period.... and don't forget to Activate your Licensing Server.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, you have a Dial-in tab in your User's properties and you need to change the option Remote Acess Permission to Allow access if you want them to be able to connect.

hope this helps you a little

Yc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back