Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Server time adjust (SNTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1utch

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
Ok...I'm confused. My clients are time syncing with my DC fine, however I want to set the time on my DC to match that of its SNTP servers that it's pointing to.

I've checked my DC's SNTP servers by using:

net time /querysntp

I get the following results:

The current SNTP value is: tick.usno.navy.mil:tock.usno.navy.mil

So I know its pointing to the right servers. Now I want my DC's clock to adjust to the correct time. (Its off by about 5 minutes.) In the past I would manually open up the clock to change the time to reflect what I saw on the website. However, isn't there a command to force the clock to change by using its SNTP servers?

I tired W32tm -s, but my clock never changes. I've read that it slowly adjusts the time, but I did this almost 24 hours ago and the time is still of by roughly the same amount it was when I ran W32tm.

Any suggestions on how to force my DC to change the time to its SNTP servers?

Thanks.

Chris

1. Make sure that your firewall allows SNTP outbound traffic.

2. Stop the w32time service.

3. From a command line run w32tm -v -once
or if you just want to see what it would change to run w32tm -test -v -once

Is this DS your PDC Emulator? Your PDC Emulator is the authoratative time server for your domain, so make sure that's the one that you've got set to sync to an outside source.

Marc Creviere

Marc,

Yes, its my PDC. Your post was a matter of minutes behind me figuring out what I was doing wrong. Most of the posts I was reading was referring to w32Time as w32tm. I didn't realize they were entirely different services. The posts kept telling me to stop the w32tm service before running and w32tm commands...which confused the heck out of me. How could I run a w32tm command if I stopped the actual service from running?

Ok, now that I have distinguished between w32tm and w32time, I've got the time synched up on my DC. I also wrote and ran a script to synch up all my PC's on the domain, rather than wait for them to synch up at next login.

I'm still kind of cloudy on what w32tm and w32time each do specifically. I guess I'll get google for some clarification.

Thanks for the response Marc!!!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back