Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k server router problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2002
GB
Hi,
Currently we have a server running win2k with active directory with a static IP address and running DHCP. There is a DSL DLink router connected to the Hub with NAT running and it has a static IP address. I have added the routers IP address into the DHCP config as the router. The server can access the internet fine and one workstation can as well, but all the other workstations cant. They all can ping the server and the default gateway is set to the router but cant access the Internet through IE but can thru msn messenger. I have compared the working workstation with all the others and the settings are the same. Am I missing something??

Can anyone help?

Which DHCP are you using? W2k or the Dlink? Only thing I can think of is that if you had the Dlink running DHCP at one point and DHCP on the W2k at the same time. Your router will hose up. Maybe I am wrong.

Trimelater

It's hard to say without knowing more. Since MSN messenger can get through, I wonder if they ARE connected, but DNS is broken... Try using an IP address to get to a public web page, such as instead of Also, try this command in a DOS box and compare the settings between the working/broken boxes.

ipconfig /all

Next, look at the routing table on each windows box with the command

route print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back