Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN2K server problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlcroom

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
In our small network, there are a couple of servers running WIN2K advanced server.
One of these has developed a problem where, if on another machine, we go thru MY NETWORK PLACES - entire network - ETC to the list of computers and try to connect to that server, we get the error " \\SERVER is not accessible. The server is not configured for transactions" If any other machine had a mapped network drive to the server, the connection still works.
This has started only in the last few days and seems to affect only this one server.

Network is 10-WIN2K machines and 2-WIN2K advanced servers in a workgroup - no domain running thru 2 switches.
All machines have been rebooted, all machines are using administrative accounts to try to connect, and all machines can ping the server.

Anyone have a clue to the solution?

Thanks

Try:

Start -> Run ->

NET SHARE

If IPC$ is not listed, try the spyware scans... spybot, MS antispyware, virus scans and report back with what you have.

X

Thanks, Xaqte. Will do this first thing Tuesday.

Xaqte,
You were right on the money.
Net share showed only the server's shared folder,not IPC$
Although Spybot and F-Prot AV reported no problems, Startup control panel was showing czfol.exe running as AIM messenger.
Rebooted into safe mode, unhid the system files and found and deleted czfol.exe, msnmesg.exe and tftp.exe.
Rebooted and everything is back to normal.

Thanks

Good job, carlcroom! I'm glad I was able to help!

X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back