Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN2k Server (Network Neighborhood) 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

telcomwork

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
I'm trying to setup a Win2K server and so far have had much success. The only problem can't see to figure out is why my laptop can't see or browse the Win2k server in network neighborhood. I have the computer getting an IP address from the server whcih I configured with DHCP, WINS, DNS adn Active Directory. Is there something specific I should be looking for? I have added a machine account to the srver as well as a user account on the laptop I'm using.

Any help is greatly appriciated!

Make sure you have the laptop on the same "network" as the server. Not just IP address wise, but OS wise too. Sometimes you need to setup file and print sharing in order for you to view other computers on the network.

I have joined the domain the I created. It's that what you mean by on the same network? I have file and print sharing on, maybe I'll remove and re-add it?

Thanks for your help.

As long as you have joined the domain you should be fine.

I assume that you login to your machine via the account on the server which means the two are talking?

Have you tried browseing all networks? I noticed that I had to go through the "view all networks (in net neighborhood)" and then to the same network I was on, in order to browse the machines the first time. after I had had connected to them through that way, the next time they showed up in net neighborhood right away and I could also then hit them through the run command \\computername .
For some wierd reason, sometimes Microsoft OS will not know how to find computers in the same network until you manually show it.

(I cant remember the exact terminology for what I have said as I am not at my networked computers right now, but I hope I explained it well enough for you to figure it out.)

Yep joined the domain, got an IP, can get out to the internet but just can't see the Server through network neighborhood or any other means. When I do a ipconfig /all I see all the info the server is passing. I don't understand. I also added NetBEUI just for the heck of it as a last resort. I configured the DNS and WINS info all to look at the server but still no luck. I did try view all net works and can even see my domain but the only computer I see is the laptop, nothing else. I tried to do the start run as well.

If you think of anythign else I can try please drop me an update. Thank you very much for your help.

hmmm, so you can get an IP from the server with DHCP, And you login through the server, but you still can't see it or use it to get to the internet. Have you tried to ping it? Have you tried rebooting both machines? have you checked your cable connection? I am thinking that you may have a bad cable if what I have described is what is happenning. do a ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip address of the server) after a good reboot from both machines. let me know what you find.

Yep, pings fine. Check physical connections and rebooted numeerous time. Maybe I'm not logging into the domain. Everytime I log into the computer that joined the Domain, I never get options like local computer or domain. Could it be I'm still logging into the local computer. If so how can I make it recognize that I want to login intoa domain in the initial screen. This has me puzzled. I tried removing active directory adn re-installing. I'm about to throw this thing out the window (she ignorance I know for not knowing the answer) but I'm frustrated as heck. Pretty soon I'm sayiong forget it adn going back to a workgroup.

I have a few more questions so we can see if we can figure this out:
Do you have folder sharing set up on the win2k server?
Can you hit it by typing \\servername or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (server ip) in the run command?

I do.

I can't hit it by browsing or \\servername\share in teh run command.

Once I joined the domain, should I have the option of loggin into the domain or local machine. Currently it just looks like I'm loggin in locally. This maybe my problem, you think?

You probably have not really joined the domain. The fact that your getting to the internet and are receiving an IP through DHCP does not insure that you have actually become a domain member. In the control panel go into system and click on the tab labeled 'Network Identification'. Your should see the full computer name and domain.

If you right-click My Computer and click the Computer Name tab, does it show your full computer name (with domain name appended) and show domain name being the same as your domain? If not, try running Network Identification Wizard again.

As Davix pointed out, you probably are not joining the domain. Try thiese command to check if you're joining in domain: Ping the server name instead of the ip address and secondly you can run "nbtstat -n" in the command prompt to check if you're login to the domain.

Sounds like a very big huge Dns problem
In your dhcp options what are your services ,
if you cant find the server from the laptop from the network places icon on your desktop then type in the servers computer name and then search for that specific computer ! if you are part of your doamin then you should within active directory go to users and computers ! if that laptop isnt there then its not part of your domain when you did go into Dos and pinged the server , where you able to ping the server buy the servers name ! if you werent able to do so then DNS is not working ...........
now your question :
Once I joined the domain, should I have the option of loggin into the domain or local machine. Currently it just looks like I'm loggin in locally. This maybe my problem, you think?
when the machine boots up and you get to your logg on screen if you only see username and password listed then go to the options tab you should see the list of of weather you want to log on to the machine localy or if you want to log on to your domain !
now you say you cant get internet access from the laptop are you running r/rass on the server and using it as a router
If you have all windows 2000 machines on your network then you wouldnt need a wins database or even need Netbeui other than that is sounds to me that you have like i said before a DNS issue !
Anthony Cabanas
Long Island Networking Technologies Inc acabanas@linettech.com

Thanks for the help. What I did was tear the server down. I had a beta copy of Server loaded for testing. I got a normal copy of server adn am goign to have at it again this weekend. Thanks again for all the replies and ideas to try.

Make sure the DNS address your DHCP server is giving is that of your AD DC's, can/could you ping by machine name? Which OS is your laptop running? What is the error message when you go in with the \\<dc name>? Just because your laptop get's an address from DHCP doesn't really mean a whole lot since it doesn't have anything to do with windows networking. When you added the machine to the AD did you do it from the laptop? Adding it at the server doesn't help much as your machine doesn't know it's supposed to be part of the domain, but you should still be able to see it at a minimum.

Andrew

In your dhcp, specify your DNS server (option 6) to be passed to the client. Also check the client and server to see if they are running on the same settings for Netbios... &quot;Use netbios over tcp/ip&quot;. Make sure you have a share on the server with the proper permissions set for both share permissions and NTFS permissions. You will know when you have properly joined the domain when your logon gives you the domain in the login screen. If using netbios over tcp/ip, then start/run \\server\share (resolved by wins or broadcast). If not using netbios over tcp/ip, then start/run \\server.domain.net\share (resolved by DNS).

Netbeui on both the server and client will help you troubleshoot between permission problems and tcp/ip configuration problems. If on the same network segment, you do not need a wins server.

Thank you everyone fo ryour help. You all going to probably want to kill me but I loaded a select copy of Win2kServer and have everything working great!!!!!! Note to self, Microsoft beta copies should never be used in a real world environment.

If buy chance you are setting up a lab environment , lets say for a future roll out or confguration of servers and services you could use a beta copy or even an eval , Just for sake of the lab , but after that man better off spending the dollars and get a true version ....................... Anthony Cabanas
Long Island Networking Technologies Inc acabanas@linettech.com

Whats the difference between using option 5 & option 6 inside the DHCP server under server options?

Anyone know? Anyone have a white paper they can point the direction to me?

Inquiring Minds,
[sadeyes]

All the options are defined in the windows 2000 server help. It'll be found in the network/dhcp section. Its very detailed as to thier function and even tells you what bits are passed in the dhcp response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back