Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Server (machine specific) Printing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSCFWAdmin

Technical User
Mar 26, 2003
US
I'm a domain admin and have a Win2k server SP3 (Compaq ML350). Whenever I try to setup a network printer (on our print server), It shows the following message "Access denied, unable to connect". This appears to be machine specific. Domain users can setup a network printer from any other machine and OS, with no problem. I can set them up from any other machine without issue.
I also noticed that when I make a UNC connection to the print server from this particular machine, that the printer shares are visible, but the actual printers under the printer folder are not.
This worked at one time, and I have reservice packed the server
I've been running this problem by everyone I meet for about 6 months, anybody got an idea?

What printer is this?
if its an Epson Acculaser then i know it MCSE NT&2K
CCNA/CCDA
CNA
ASE
NSP

There are 200 printers of different types on the print server. Only my machine (which happens to be a Win2k Server too) is having an issue, which is that nobody can print from it, regardless of which of the printers are selected. I have to set up printers on another machine, in order to print.
I'm just about to the point of reloading it, but I really don't want to do that.

Have you checked spooler service is running?

I had a problem werby once i had installed a certain driver which included a monitoring program--it casued ever other pinter including that one to hang and not print.
when this certain driver was re-installed it would crash the spooler service.
I would say that the step before u completely re-install the server--your going to have to delete and uninstall all te printers and all the software that comes with them--emphasis being the software that comes with them :p

ive quite often seen printers--especially epsons which have a monitoring program that installs as parrt of the driver--- when the printer is not locally attached and connects via network (as likely your case) the software seems to go `off on one` and mess the spooler service up.
thing is with win2k server is, it continually monitors the state of the printers -so if you have some `rogue` printer -it will be a continuous problem and will manifest with all printers.

I know its going to be a pain to remove all 200 printers -but my advice as somone who gets called out on these type of problems is the above.
MCSE NT&2K
CCNA/CCDA
CNA
ASE
NSP

Are you printing to the Y2K print server from any NT4 clients or is the whole network W2K?

Unfortunately or Fortunately, I can't uninstall all 200 printers, because out of 295 machines (Win9x, NT4.0 W/S & Server, Win2k Pro & Server and XP), my one server is the only one that this is affecting. It's somethin specific to this machine. Unfortunately, I administer from this server and I can't admin any printers, nor print from this machine.

Thanks

hm if it just affects you--try logging on as a diff user with admin rights--and if that works--then delete your profile.
ive seen mad things like that go on before MCSE NT&2K
CCNA/CCDA
CNA
ASE
NSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back