Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Server Hangs after Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

j8roxian

Technical User
Jul 3, 2003
US
I've currently got a Win2K Server that continually hangs right after I login - it hangs on the "Loading your Personal Settings" screen and will not go any further. A hard reboot is usually (unfortunately) the temporary resolution. I do not know the history of this machine so unfortunately, I cannot say how long this has been happening or what possibly has affected this.

One problem is that this particular machine is the main DHCP server on the our network - sigh.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You haven't really gone into much detail here. What have you tried? Is it just your logon or everyone?
Have you tried deleting the local user account on the server? Service Packed?

Steve Hewitt

SP2 is the latest service pack installed on this particular machine. This happens with every logon profile I've tried, it even happens when attempting to run Terminal Services from a remote desktop. Unfortunately, since I cannot get into the machine so I'm unable to delete any accounts.

This may be a longshot but I just recently heard that if the autoexec.bat file has be set to "Encrypt contents to secure data" this behavior can occur. Has anyone heard of this?

If it is just serving as a DHCP server and nothing else, you could try setting up another DHCP server on another Server, then rebuild this Win2k Server. You could also try booting up to Safe mode to see if you can log in and check available freespace etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back