Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Server Crashes randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSUKNic

Technical User
Feb 3, 2002
GB
I hope somebody out there can help,I have Win2k advanced server running on an XP1700 with 512mb ram, 2x60gb mirrored drives on a promise raid controller.

At random, and for no explanation the server locks up and throws everybody out. The only solution is to reboot.

I thought at first that the raid controller may be the culprit, however, regardless of whether I backup or not the thing still crashes.

I am running out of bright ideas.

What motherboard and chipset do you have? Some chipsets (such as VIA) have updated drivers specifically aimed at AMD based systems. Ditto on the Promise controller whether is it built-in or added on.

I have an AMD Athlon on an MSI motherboard with the VIA chipset and the updated drivers from VIA make a difference in speed and stability.

Pax,
Richard

Good suggestion from Reepicheep, also, do you have any messages in your event viewer indicating a cause? Marc Creviere

Try Replacing the Memeory Chip, We had a very similar situation before and replacing the memory chip solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back