Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

longshuen

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
US
I need to set up a fake domain at my home office to test Oracle 9ias. The home office lan consists of two WIN2K Professional machines. How do I set up a domain name on this LAN architecture? e.g. I want to name my computers "station1.myhome.com" and "station2.myhome.com" and use "myhome.com" as the domain. The domain name does not have to be authentic. Oracle 9ias needs the two computers to be on a domain.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Well, to set up a domain you will need a DNS server running that will represent your domain.
This is not possible with w2k pro. You will need w2K server for this.
Get an eval copy of w2k server and during install you can already install it as a domain controler.
good luck
Robert

Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCM/CNX/MCP/MSCA
Citee Education
the Netherlands

Another option would be to set up host files on the machines. Go to C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc and open the hosts file. In this you will see an example of how to set a record up.
This should work for you if you need DNS for name resolution.

Micah A. Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back