Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Pro workstation suddenly cannot print direct to LPT port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mskennicutt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2002
US
I have a Win2k computer that seemingly won't send data direct to the LPT1 port (i.e. DOS Print command or printing through the DOS Edit program), but I CAN print using the Windows printer (which is also using the LPT1 port). When I use the DOS Print command it says that the file was sent to LPT1, but it doesn't print. I have tried hooking up a second printer with no luck and I also made sure there was no Net Use capture on LPT1. I also tried switching the parallel port from ECP to EPP in the BIOS.

After that I tried booting to a Windows98 boot disk and the DOS Print command worked fine???

The problem then lies within Windows 2000. I uninstalled the last program that was put on the system (a few days prior to when this problem surfaced) which was Dragon Naturally Speaking. I also changed the name of the 'run' registry entry so that no programs would start at boot up (I also removed everything in the start up folder). Even with no other programs running the problem persisted.

I am completely out of ideas here? The PC is running SP2 right now, but I don't see what could have changed to cause the problem in the first place.

Please HELP!!!

Go to the properties for your printer and check the port. Make sure that it says something like "LPT1\\Epson stylus 900" or what ever. If the port selected is not showing LPT1 then that's your problem.

I wish I could help more but I don't have it on the top of my head and I don't have a printer hooked up on a system here to double check stuff.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Maybe its a problem that has been fixed in the new BIOS

In your printer property settings, do you have "use printer offline" selected? If so, you'll still see the file being sent to LPT1, but it will not print.

Thanks for the ideas, but it isn't a Windows printing issue. I can print fine if I use the windows printer. It is when I try to print from a DOS prompt (or a DOS program that sends data direct to LPT1 thus bypassing any Windows drivers). I also know it isn't a BIOS issue because when I print from a Windows 98 boot disk it works. It must be some strange incompatibility with Windows 2000 and "something" else on this PC. What that "something" is remains a mystery.

I can live with it, but mysteries drive me nuts!

I have this same problem! I have win2k pro and it wont print when i use the commands prn, lpt1, or redirect text or files to the printer (type bla.txt > prn). But it will print in the windows enviroment.
Very strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back